- Shake hands and read Goethe: attempt to define German values draws ire | World news | The Guardian
- After migrant influx, voters ask: what makes a German?
It is a historical fact.
- LUCINDA: NAILS OF THE CRUCIFIXION (THE LUCINDA TRILOGY Book 1)!
- Shopping Cart!
- Get e-book German Leitkultur - What is the content of the German Leitkultur?.
- Uncompromising: A Heart Claimed By a Radical Love.
- Market Like a Mofo: How to Sell More Copies of Your Badass Book (Badass Writing 4)?
- Madly & the Jackal (Madly Series Book 3);
The interior minister has written about many things that are worthy of consideration: the value of education, upbringing, and manners. There is nothing didactic here, nothing that excludes anyone.
Shake hands and read Goethe: attempt to define German values draws ire | World news | The Guardian
It is a confidently formulated expectation. One key sentence says: "Strength and inner security in one's own culture results in tolerance towards others.
What if they "neither know, perhaps do not want to know, or actually reject" such a Leitkultur? If that is the case, he fears, their integration will not be successful. Because this fear is justified, de Maiziere's Leitkultur initiative is justified, too.
In fact, in times of increasing social polarization it is urgently needed. German "Leitkultur" - What is the content of the German "Leitkultur"? But what is to say the politician responsible for Germany's domestic security should not speak out like this in the year of a landmark general election? Quite the reverse: He is fulfilling his responsibility by trying to do something about social cohesion. All are invited to participate constructively in the debate.
Germany's interior minister has presented a point plan on the divisive issue of "Leitkultur" - the idea of establishing dominant German values. Thomas de Maiziere believes this will help integrate immigrants. The disenchanted Christian Democrat and the business-savvy political novice. How Alexander Gauland and Alice Weidel, respectively, became the far-right nationalist candidates in Germany's election.
After migrant influx, voters ask: what makes a German?
Don't you know Martin Luther? Why not? Admittedly, the man last made headlines years ago. What's more, there is very little information about him and his life, and it usually consists of half-truths and legends. Just think of the ban on discrimination by reason of race, gender, religion, or sexual persuasion, or of the abolition of the death penalty.
The second reason why Germany would be well advised to drop the German in favor of a European Leitkultur is pure self-interest.
Chancellor Angela Merkel might be more effective in asking for European solidarity if it became clear that it is not just a German, but rather a European value system and way of life that attracts so many refugees. Finally, acknowledging the European dimension is important because this wave of immigration represents a great opportunity to take European integration forward. If we fail to seize this moment, Europe will lose out — and Germany more than most as the country that has always benefitted most from European integration.
Just consider what immigration has meant to the United States. Defining a canon of what new immigrants have to sign on to — and updating this canon every so often — has allowed Americans to develop a startlingly strong sense of identity. Even Americans who have never travelled abroad have a strong and optimistic sense of what being American entails. In the absence of a common enemy, this is a remarkable achievement.
- Beatitudes: His Tenderness Over My Weakness.
- Man’s Place in the Universe: A Study of the Results of Scientific Research in Relation to the Unity or Plurality of Worlds!
- 7 Secret Steps to Bestselling Author: Kindle Secrets Revealed for Authors and Would-be Authors of HOW TO Books (How to Become a Bestseller Book 1).
- Navigation menu.
- GHDI - Document;
- The Hurting Game (A Frank Boff Mystery Book 1).
How else would a country with such a vast territory and with so many ethnic groupings ever have kept together? Europeans, by the very nature of the European project, cannot build their identity through a common enemy. They may feel European when traversing distant continents, but at home their awareness of sharing a common destiny takes a distant back seat to their national sense of identity. Chapter First Online: 05 July This is a preview of subscription content, log in to check access. Baecker D Wozu Kultur?
Kadmos, Berlin Google Scholar.
Baumeister RF, Leary MR The need to belong: desire for interpersonal attachments as a fundamental human motivation. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart Google Scholar. Camus A Carnets. Mai - Mars Carleton RN Fear of the unknown: one fear to rule them all? Jaspal R Social psychological debates about identity.
- ABELL AIRBORNE.
- The Mummy’s Revenge. 1st in The Mummy Monster Game Set?
- Eight Various Compositions: For Intermediate to Advanced Piano: 0 (Kalmus Edition)!
- Cultivating Chi: A Samurai Physicians Teachings on the Way of Health.
- Germany's "Leitkultur" Debate: German-Only School Wins National Prize - tizemiwe.tk.
- Multivariate Geostatistics: An Introduction with Applications.
In: Jaspal R ed Identity process theory. Identity, social action and social change. A critical review of concepts and definitions. Lieberman MD Social.